Thursday, July 10, 2008

Hay!


Well, our 2008 hay crop is in the barn and not a moment too soon. The rain started about an hour ago. I hope our hay guy got the rest of his bales put away. Our portion of the crop is 21 big squares, plus a broken one which I picked up this morning before the rain hit.

If we keep getting rain this summer, we might even get a second crop this fall. Wouldn't that be great!

Being over on the land watching them baling up the hay last evening reawakened my desire to sell our house and build on that parcel. The amount of forage over there for the sheep is mind boggling. The sheep would be in heaven! And so would I. I love the open space and big sky. Here we are so cramped for pasture and with all the trees, we never get to enjoy the sunsets or sunrises. I know we're no spring chickens, but maybe we could do it...


Here is River Oaks Rueben. He's out of River Oaks Eliza and Windswept Boggart. He's got a great little tail and his horns are looking good so far. I think he's Fawn, see his fleece below.


I've been studying up on the modified colors lately and have decided that River Oaks McIntire (below) is shaela. I'll try to get a good photo of his fleece when parted.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the barnful of hay, Becky!! That has GOT to feel good!

    It's hard to tell from pictures, but your Rueben looks like he has mighty dark 'points' for a fawn. McIntire sure does look like he could be Shaela though! NICE HORNS as well! He looks like a very nice ram lamb. You should show him at Jefferson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nancy! Yes, I think McIntire's horns will turn out nicely. Finally a ram with nice horns, just when I'm going polled. :-) And yes I should start halter training him now for Jefferson. I would love to bring him and Julius, a fawn katmoget, to show. I'm supposed to bring a Shetland and her Mule lambs for the breeds display too. I'll need a trailer in order to bring all the sheep.

    ReplyDelete

Spring and Summer Classes 2024

  Well, it's April and the sheep have been sheared.  The chicks have arrived in the mail and Easter is behind us already.  Time to start...