Monday, December 24, 2007

Wishing Ewe a Merry Christmas...

And a happy "ewe" [lamb] year!
As I sit here on Christmas Eve munching on garlic pretzels (recipe from Nancy Larsen) and looking forward to a cheesy hashbrown potato dish (recipe from Kim Nikolai) tomorrow at my mom's, and seeing the bird feeders made by Wille Lumber wrapped up under my tree to be given as gifts, I am amazed at how my much life has been blessed by my fellow Shetland sheepbreeders. Who would have ever thought that getting a couple sheep back in 2001 would lead to all this? Thank you all for sharing this wonderful journey with me!


Snowball and Rainstorm, our first two ewes, just hours after they arrived here on Dec. 16, 2001. Snowball was a ewe lamb, 1/2 Shetland, 1/4 Border Leicester and 1/4 Finn. She became our flock leader, you can see she was already stomping her foot even then.

Rainstorm was a three year old, purebred Shetland. She delivered twin ewe lambs in April the next year. What a thrill that was! That's when I realized that Christmas comes several times a year with Shetlands -- at shearing and lambing too, not just in December. :-)


4 comments:

  1. Becky,

    I am SOO thankful for friends like you as well. The Shetland community has been good to me. As has the shatland/BFL community. Much happiness to you and yours in 2008.

    Hugs,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO TRUE, Becky! I could never have imagined how my whole life would change when I bought my first Shetland sheep. Now, I can't imagine what my world would be like WITHOUT them...

    Happy New Year ~ I hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas Becky! You are right, Shetland Sheep people really are a special group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course we are the best group of sheep people (heck even people in general!) Everyone has been so welcoming, giving, and full of knowledge. I don't know of a better group of people!

    ReplyDelete

Getting ready for Christmas Markets!

  I'll be doing two Christmas markets this year. The first one is at Sapsucker Farms in Brook Park, MN Nov. 18-19th. And the second one ...