Thursday, November 11, 2021

Sheep Fat or Mutton Tallow (from Fat Sheep)

Here is my first ever batch of mutton tallow soap. It's sparkling white and leaves your hands feeling SO good. I've been making soap for about 17 years but never tried using mutton tallow in it.

 

I guess I have overfed my sheep for a couple years now. Who knew Frankie, my 3.5 year old wether was so fat! I knew he was bossy at the feeder, but never have I seen so much fat on a sheep. 

 I was thinking of making suet feeders for the birds, but then I read about the wonders of mutton tallow for your skin.

I'll be rendering lots more of Frankie's fat and trying different blends and scents in soaps and lotions. The batch above is 100% mutton tallow with Lavender and Rosemary essential oils added for scent. 

I'm cooling down some Mutton tallow/olive oil balm now. I'll whip it up and put it in jars. I've read that mutton tallow is really beneficial for your skin. We'll see. There's always more to learn! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Getting ready for Christmas Markets!

  I'll be doing two Christmas markets this year. The first one is at Sapsucker Farms in Brook Park, MN Nov. 18-19th. And the second one ...