Monday, June 11, 2012

Spinning Wheel Find and another Felted Vessel


I went out to garage sales and plant sales this weekend with my oldest son, Alex. (The youngest was in South Carolina all last week for a wedding.  He had a great time, got to swim in the ocean and even got to go para-sailing -- glad I didn't know about that ahead of time.)

I came across this little double drive saxony wheel at one of the sales.  It was very reasonably priced, but it didn't have a drive band installed, so I couldn't really test it out much. The single treadle worked well and I could see the bobbin was broken. I made an offer an brought it home, much to the chagrin of Alex  -- some people just don't understand the need for multiple wheels or the excitement of finding a spinning wheel in the wild.  There is nothing but the initials O.T.S. on the bottom.  I wonder how old it is.

When we finally got home and I installed a drive band, I found that the double drive doesn't work with that broken bobbin, so I improvised a scotch tension string and spun up two ounces of BFL yarn on it.  I oiled it, tweaked it, and used the little wooden peg to stabilize the mother-of-all.  It spun really nicely!  I'm not used to single treadle wheels, but this was pretty easy for me.  I spun one bobbin full and then made a center pull ball and plied it. Plying was a little more difficult with my makeshift scotch tension, but I did a reasonable job.

I left the broken bobbin at the Fiber Co-Op, hoping that Winnie's husnband, Russ Johnson can make me two or three new bobbins. Then I will be able to use the double drive. Yeah! :-)

I worked at the fiber co-op yesterday.  It was a hot day and not many customers came in, so I got started on making another vessel.  I hope to make a cover for it today.  This one is made of Gotland fiber (from Louet), BFL fiber (from my flock) and a BFL/Gotland cross fiber from Judy Colvin's flock.  The cool thing is that I make my birdhouses with the same template I make these small vessels.  Felting is so versatile!

Next post, photos of Leta's ram lamb and my new DUCKS!

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha, Becky--"finding a spinning wheel in the wild"...I love this expression!! :)
    Purchases like that are such fun, aren't they?!?
    No, we might not 'need' it, but if it's a good price and we can get it to work, it's like a present we give to ourselves!!
    Your new vessel is spectacular! You do such precise and elegant work.
    Missing you--I must send you a note soon and tell you all about Portugal! XXO--

    ReplyDelete

Spring and Summer Classes 2024

  Well, it's April and the sheep have been sheared.  The chicks have arrived in the mail and Easter is behind us already.  Time to start...