Wednesday, July 23, 2008

On the Road Again!

Well, I'm off to the Midwest Felting Symposium in Madison, WI tomorrow! It's going to be so much fun, immersing myself in felting for four whole days! I'm sure I will learn a lot.
Today I'm busy packing, cleaning, and washing clothes, watering plants, etc. so everything will still be alive when I get home again.
The garden has grown tremendously in the past two weeks. It's shown above on July 7th, and below on July 22nd. The tomatoes are as tall as the corn! I'm sure they will be blown over soon and then my rows will totally disappear...it seemed like I left lots of space between the rows, but it's sure crowded now. I had to re-seed the lettuce and the spinach, so that's why you see an empty section on the right.

Here's a shot of little Bo, his horns are starting to come in now at 7 weeks old. He's really got a soft fluffy fleece. I can't wait to see how it turns out. When he was born, it was like hair and I was a little disappointed, but it's really nice now. Sorry all these photos are so dark, it was a hot day and they all were hanging out in the shade.
Leora is getting so big too. Here she is with her mother, Lanora yesterday.
Here's Rhyn and Rhaya (the Natural colored BFLs) in the back with Lucy (the katmoget in front) and Lana (gulmoget) lounging nearby...FYI, Rhyn can get in with the others, she just happened to be on the other side of the panel. I haven't taken any ewe lambs away for weaning, just the older boys.Speaking of which, here's Rueben again...I think Bo's fleece will be much like Rueben's; intermediate to single coated.
And remember those cute little yellow chicks we got in June?
Well, they're getting to be big fat stinky broiler chickens now. They sure have surpassed the 5 replacement layers in growth!
I put them in the lean-to where Dougal and Granite were housed until recently. Surprisingly they loved sheep mineral. I had to cover it up because I'm not sure if that would be good for them. I was planning to sell 15 of them after they are vacuum packed in August, but we'll probably just keep all 30 for ourselves.

3 comments:

  1. Pretty garden, and pretty sheep. Those lambs are so big. :)

    Have fun at your felting workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure the sheep mineral is fine for them...they love grit, that's for sure! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just checking in, Becky ~ I can't wait to hear all about the felting Symposium!

    ReplyDelete

Spring and Summer Classes 2024

  Well, it's April and the sheep have been sheared.  The chicks have arrived in the mail and Easter is behind us already.  Time to start...